Author Topic: Hi Scores with anti tampering validation  (Read 10312 times)

gumix

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Ascii Patrol
Hi Scores with anti tampering validation
« on: May 26, 2016, 03:24:44 pm »
No graphics here, but topic I think is quite interesting.

Ascii Patrol records all player's key strokes during the game, later such recording is passed to the server with wget curl or in case of a browser it makes XHR request.

Then the server starts game application on its own and feeds it with key strokes recording from player. So it actualy repeats entire game-play, but of course without need to paint anything on screen or synchronize to the real time, so the process is pretty fast, about 0.5% 0.01% of real time game-play.

In that way it calculates player's score, which after positive validation, is inserted to hi-score data base.

My own experiments show that 1 hour of intensive game-play, relusts in about 100K bytes of recording data. It is almost nutting ;) and allows to fully replay the game, so I'm going to use it also for making video gallery.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:07:02 am by gumix »

Kyzrati

• View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Hi Scores with anti tampering validation
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 03:38:28 am »
That's awesome, a method I really wish I could use myself, but there are some unresolvable technical roadblocks in my own engine :(

gumix

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Ascii Patrol
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 09:27:57 am »
I have had to split my RNG into several separate channels, so real time based visual fx stuff don't mess up with artificial stupidity of my aliens and level proc gens. :)

Kyzrati

• View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 09:50:32 am »
Yeah, I got to the RNG splitting way too late, so it's in there, but only good for level seeds, not all the logic (too much of it now! plus the animations and whatnot still use the same RNG). There's way too much going on in the world to quickly simulate an entire run anyway :/